Affect Synonyms & Definitions
Synonyms are words that have the same or almost the same meaning and the definition is the detailed explanation of the word. This page will help you out finding the Definition & Synonyms of hundreds of words mentioned on this page. Check out the page and learn more about the English vocabulary.
• AffectDefinition & Meaning in English
- (v. t.) To act upon; to produce an effect or change upon.
- (v. t.) To love; to regard with affection.
- (v. t.) To influence or move, as the feelings or passions; to touch.
- (v. t.) To assign; to appoint.
- (v. t.) To make a show of; to put on a pretense of; to feign; to assume; as, to affect ignorance.
- (n.) Affection; inclination; passion; feeling; disposition.
- (v. t.) To show a fondness for; to like to use or practice; to choose; hence, to frequent habitually.
- (v. t.) To dispose or incline.
- (v. t.) To tend to by affinity or disposition.
- (v. t.) To aim at; to aspire; to covet.
- (n.) The emotional complex associated with an idea or mental state. In hysteria, the affect is sometimes entirely dissociated, sometimes transferred to another than the original idea.
• AffectedDefinition & Meaning in English
- (p. p. & a.) Regarded with affection; beloved.
- (p. p. & a.) Given to false show; assuming or pretending to possess what is not natural or real.
- (imp. & p. p.) of Affect
- (p. p. & a.) Made up of terms involving different powers of the unknown quantity; adfected; as, an affected equation.
- (p. p. & a.) Assumed artificially; not natural.
- (p. p. & a.) Inclined; disposed; attached.