Appellative Synonyms & Definitions
Synonyms are words that have the same or almost the same meaning and the definition is the detailed explanation of the word. This page will help you out finding the Definition & Synonyms of hundreds of words mentioned on this page. Check out the page and learn more about the English vocabulary.
• AppellativeDefinition & Meaning in English
- (n.) A common name, in distinction from a proper name. A common name, or appellative, stands for a whole class, genus, or species of beings, or for universal ideas. Thus, tree is the name of all plants of a particular class; plant and vegetable are names of things that grow out of the earth. A proper name, on the other hand, stands for a single thing; as, Rome, Washington, Lake Erie.
- (a.) Pertaining to a common name; serving as a distinctive denomination; denominative; naming.
- (n.) An appellation or title; a descriptive name.
- (a.) Common, as opposed to proper; denominative of a class.
• AppellativelyDefinition & Meaning in English
- (adv.) After the manner of nouns appellative; in a manner to express whole classes or species; as, Hercules is sometimes used appellatively, that is, as a common name, to signify a strong man.