Arms Synonyms & Definitions
Synonyms are words that have the same or almost the same meaning and the definition is the detailed explanation of the word. This page will help you out finding the Definition & Synonyms of hundreds of words mentioned on this page. Check out the page and learn more about the English vocabulary.
• ArmsDefinition & Meaning in English
- (n.) Anything which a man takes in his hand in anger, to strike or assault another with; an aggressive weapon.
- (n.) The deeds or exploits of war; military service or science.
- (n.) The legs of a hawk from the thigh to the foot.
- (n.) Instruments or weapons of offense or defense.
- (n.) The ensigns armorial of a family, consisting of figures and colors borne in shields, banners, etc., as marks of dignity and distinction, and descending from father to son.
• ArmDefinition & Meaning in English
- (n.) Anything resembling an arm
- (n.) A limb, or locomotive or prehensile organ, of an invertebrate animal.
- (v. t.) To cover or furnish with a plate, or with whatever will add strength, force, security, or efficiency; as, to arm the hit of a sword; to arm a hook in angling.
- (n.) The fore limb of an animal, as of a bear.
- (n.) A branch of a tree.
- (n.) A branch of the military service; as, the cavalry arm was made efficient.
- (n.) A weapon of offense or defense; an instrument of warfare; -- commonly in the pl.
- (n.) A support for the elbow, at the side of a chair, the end of a sofa, etc.
- (n.) The end of a yard; also, the part of an anchor which ends in the fluke.
- (v. t.) To furnish with arms or limbs.
- (v. i.) To provide ones self with arms, weapons, or means of attack or resistance; to take arms.
- (v. t.) Fig.: To furnish with means of defense; to prepare for resistance; to fortify, in a moral sense.
- (n.) Fig.: Power; might; strength; support; as, the secular arm; the arm of the law.
- (n.) An inlet of water from the sea.
- (n.) A slender part of an instrument or machine, projecting from a trunk, axis, or fulcrum; as, the arm of a steelyard.
- (v. t.) To take by the arm; to take up in ones arms.
- (n.) The limb of the human body which extends from the shoulder to the hand; also, the corresponding limb of a monkey.
- (v. t.) To furnish or equip with weapons of offense or defense; as, to arm soldiers; to arm the country.