Assize Synonyms & Definitions
Synonyms are words that have the same or almost the same meaning and the definition is the detailed explanation of the word. This page will help you out finding the Definition & Synonyms of hundreds of words mentioned on this page. Check out the page and learn more about the English vocabulary.
• AssizeDefinition & Meaning in English
- (n.) A special kind of jury or inquest.
- (n.) Anything fixed or reduced to a certainty in point of time, number, quantity, quality, weight, measure, etc.; as, rent of assize.
- (n.) A court, the sitting or session of a court, for the trial of processes, whether civil or criminal, by a judge and jury.
- (n.) Measure; dimension; size.
- (v.) To assess; to value; to rate.
- (n.) The time or place of holding the court of assize; -- generally in the plural, assizes.
- (n.) A verdict or finding of a jury upon such writ.
- (v.) To fix the weight, measure, or price of, by an ordinance or regulation of authority.
- (n.) A kind of writ or real action.
- (n.) An assembly of knights and other substantial men, with a bailiff or justice, in a certain place and at a certain time, for public business.
- (n.) The periodical sessions of the judges of the superior courts in every county of England for the purpose of administering justice in the trial and determination of civil and criminal cases; -- usually in the plural.
- (n.) A statute or ordinance in general. Specifically: (1) A statute regulating the weight, measure, and proportions of ingredients and the price of articles sold in the market; as, the assize of bread and other provisions; (2) A statute fixing the standard of weights and measures.
• AssizedDefinition & Meaning in English
- (imp. & p. p.) of Assize