Author Synonyms & Definitions
Synonyms are words that have the same or almost the same meaning and the definition is the detailed explanation of the word. This page will help you out finding the Definition & Synonyms of hundreds of words mentioned on this page. Check out the page and learn more about the English vocabulary.
• AuthorDefinition & Meaning in English
- (n.) An informant.
- (n.) One who composes or writes a book; a composer, as distinguished from an editor, translator, or compiler.
- (n.) The beginner, former, or first mover of anything; hence, the efficient cause of a thing; a creator; an originator.
- (n.) The editor of a periodical.
- (v. t.) To occasion; to originate.
- (v. t.) To tell; to say; to declare.
• AuthorityDefinition & Meaning in English
- (n.) A book containing such a statement or opinion, or the author of the book.
- (n.) Legal or rightful power; a right to command or to act; power exercised buy a person in virtue of his office or trust; dominion; jurisdiction; authorization; as, the authority of a prince over subjects, and of parents over children; the authority of a court.
- (n.) Testimony; witness.
- (n.) Justification; warrant.
- (n.) The power derived from opinion, respect, or esteem; influence of character, office, or station, or mental or moral superiority, and the like; claim to be believed or obeyed; as, an historian of no authority; a magistrate of great authority.
- (n.) That which, or one who, is claimed or appealed to in support of opinions, actions, measures, etc.
- (n.) A precedent; a decision of a court, an official declaration, or an opinion, saying, or statement worthy to be taken as a precedent.
- (n.) Government; the persons or the body exercising power or command; as, the local authorities of the States; the military authorities.