Bail Synonyms & Definitions
Synonyms are words that have the same or almost the same meaning and the definition is the detailed explanation of the word. This page will help you out finding the Definition & Synonyms of hundreds of words mentioned on this page. Check out the page and learn more about the English vocabulary.
• BailDefinition & Meaning in English
- (v. t.) To dip or lade water from; -- often with out to express completeness; as, to bail a boat.
- (v. t.) To lade; to dip and throw; -- usually with out; as, to bail water out of a boat.
- (v./t.) To set free, or deliver from arrest, or out of custody, on the undertaking of some other person or persons that he or they will be responsible for the appearance, at a certain day and place, of the person bailed.
- (v./t.) To deliver; to release.
- (n.) The top or cross piece ( or either of the two cross pieces) of the wicket.
- (n.) The outer wall of a feudal castle. Hence: The space inclosed by it; the outer court.
- (n.) A division for the stalls of an open stable.
- (n.) A half hoop for supporting the cover of a carriers wagon, awning of a boat, etc.
- (n.) The person or persons who procure the release of a prisoner from the custody of the officer, or from imprisonment, by becoming surely for his appearance in court.
- (n.) The arched handle of a kettle, pail, or similar vessel, usually movable.
- (n.) A line of palisades serving as an exterior defense.
- (n.) A bucket or scoop used in bailing water out of a boat.
- (n.) A certain limit within a forest.
- (n.) The security given for the appearance of a prisoner in order to obtain his release from custody of the officer; as, the man is out on bail; to go bail for any one.
- (n.) Custody; keeping.
- (v./t.) To deliver, as goods in trust, for some special object or purpose, upon a contract, expressed or implied, that the trust shall be faithfully executed on the part of the bailee, or person intrusted; as, to bail cloth to a tailor to be made into a garment; to bail goods to a carrier.
• BailiwickDefinition & Meaning in English
- (n.) The precincts within which a bailiff has jurisdiction; the limits of a bailiffs authority.
• BailingDefinition & Meaning in English
- (p. pr. & vb. n.) of Bail