Balking Synonyms & Definitions
Synonyms are words that have the same or almost the same meaning and the definition is the detailed explanation of the word. This page will help you out finding the Definition & Synonyms of hundreds of words mentioned on this page. Check out the page and learn more about the English vocabulary.
• BalkingDefinition & Meaning in English
- (p. pr. & vb. n.) of Balk
• BalkDefinition & Meaning in English
- (v. i.) A ridge of land left unplowed between furrows, or at the end of a field; a piece missed by the plow slipping aside.
- (v. t.) To miss intentionally; to avoid; to shun; to refuse; to let go by; to shirk.
- (v. i.) A great beam, rafter, or timber; esp., the tie-beam of a house. The loft above was called "the balks."
- (v. i.) To engage in contradiction; to be in opposition.
- (v. i.) To indicate to fishermen, by shouts or signals from shore, the direction taken by the shoals of herring.
- (v. t.) To disappoint; to frustrate; to foil; to baffle; to /hwart; as, to balk expectation.
- (v. i.) A hindrance or disappointment; a check.
- (v. i.) To stop abruptly and stand still obstinately; to jib; to stop short; to swerve; as, the horse balks.
- (v. i.) A sudden and obstinate stop; a failure.
- (v. t.) To leave or make balks in.
- (v. i.) A deceptive gesture of the pitcher, as if to deliver the ball.
- (v. i.) One of the beams connecting the successive supports of a trestle bridge or bateau bridge.
- (v. t.) To omit, miss, or overlook by chance.
- (v. t.) To leave heaped up; to heap up in piles.
• BalkinglyDefinition & Meaning in English
- (adv.) In a manner to balk or frustrate.