Batten Synonyms & Definitions
Synonyms are words that have the same or almost the same meaning and the definition is the detailed explanation of the word. This page will help you out finding the Definition & Synonyms of hundreds of words mentioned on this page. Check out the page and learn more about the English vocabulary.
• BattenDefinition & Meaning in English
- (n .) A strip of sawed stuff, or a scantling; as, (a) pl. (Com. & Arch.) Sawed timbers about 7 by 2 1/2 inches and not less than 6 feet long. Brande & C. (b) (Naut.) A strip of wood used in fastening the edges of a tarpaulin to the deck, also around masts to prevent chafing. (c) A long, thin strip used to strengthen a part, to cover a crack, etc.
- (v. t.) To make fat by plenteous feeding; to fatten.
- (v. t.) The movable bar of a loom, which strikes home or closes the threads of a woof.
- (v. t.) To fertilize or enrich, as land.
- (v. t.) To furnish or fasten with battens.
- (v. i.) To grow fat; to grow fat in ease and luxury; to glut ones self.
• BatteningDefinition & Meaning in English
- (p. pr. & vb. n.) of Batten
- (n.) Furring done with small pieces nailed directly upon the wall.