Bays Synonyms & Definitions
Synonyms are words that have the same or almost the same meaning and the definition is the detailed explanation of the word. This page will help you out finding the Definition & Synonyms of hundreds of words mentioned on this page. Check out the page and learn more about the English vocabulary.
• BaysDefinition & Meaning in English
- (n.) Alt. of Bayze
• BayDefinition & Meaning in English
- (v. t.) To bathe.
- (n.) A kind of mahogany obtained from Campeachy Bay.
- (v. i.) A state of being obliged to face an antagonist or a difficulty, when escape has become impossible.
- (n.) A berry, particularly of the laurel.
- (n.) The laurel tree (Laurus nobilis). Hence, in the plural, an honorary garland or crown bestowed as a prize for victory or excellence, anciently made or consisting of branches of the laurel.
- (n.) A bank or dam to keep back water.
- (n.) An inlet of the sea, usually smaller than a gulf, but of the same general character.
- (n.) A recess or indentation shaped like a bay.
- (v. i.) Deep-toned, prolonged barking.
- (n.) A compartment in a barn, for depositing hay, or grain in the stalks.
- (v. i.) To bark, as a dog with a deep voice does, at his game.
- (n.) A principal compartment of the walls, roof, or other part of a building, or of the whole building, as marked off by the buttresses, vaulting, mullions of a window, etc.; one of the main divisions of any structure, as the part of a bridge between two piers.
- (v. t.) To bark at; hence, to follow with barking; to bring or drive to bay; as, to bay the bear.
- (n.) A tract covered with bay trees.
- (a.) Reddish brown; of the color of a chestnut; -- applied to the color of horses.
- (n.) A small body of water set off from the main body; as a compartment containing water for a wheel; the portion of a canal just outside of the gates of a lock, etc.
- (v. t.) To dam, as water; -- with up or back.