Belt Synonyms & Definitions
Synonyms are words that have the same or almost the same meaning and the definition is the detailed explanation of the word. This page will help you out finding the Definition & Synonyms of hundreds of words mentioned on this page. Check out the page and learn more about the English vocabulary.
• BeltDefinition & Meaning in English
- (n.) A band or stripe, as of color, round any organ; or any circular ridge or series of ridges.
- (n.) A narrow passage or strait; as, the Great Belt and the Lesser Belt, leading to the Baltic Sea.
- (n.) A token or badge of knightly rank.
- (v. t.) To shear, as the buttocks and tails of sheep.
- (n.) A band of leather, or other flexible substance, passing around two wheels, and communicating motion from one to the other.
- (n.) That which restrains or confines as a girdle.
- (n.) One of certain girdles or zones on the surface of the planets Jupiter and Saturn, supposed to be of the nature of clouds.
- (n.) That which engirdles a person or thing; a band or girdle; as, a ladys belt; a sword belt.
- (n.) Anything that resembles a belt, or that encircles or crosses like a belt; a strip or stripe; as, a belt of trees; a belt of sand.
- (n.) Same as Band, n., 2. A very broad band is more properly termed a belt.
- (v. t.) To encircle with, or as with, a belt; to encompass; to surround.
• BeltedDefinition & Meaning in English
- (a.) Worn in, or suspended from, the belt.
- (imp. & p. p.) of Belt
- (a.) Encircled by, or secured with, a belt; as, a belted plaid; girt with a belt, as an honorary distinction; as, a belted knight; a belted earl.
- (a.) Marked with a band or circle; as, a belted stalk.