Capital Synonyms & Definitions
Synonyms are words that have the same or almost the same meaning and the definition is the detailed explanation of the word. This page will help you out finding the Definition & Synonyms of hundreds of words mentioned on this page. Check out the page and learn more about the English vocabulary.
• CapitalDefinition & Meaning in English
- (a.) See Capital letter, under Capital, a.
- (n.) Money, property, or stock employed in trade, manufactures, etc.; the sum invested or lent, as distinguished from the income or interest. See Capital stock, under Capital, a.
- (a.) Anything which can be used to increase ones power or influence.
- (a.) That portion of the produce of industry, which may be directly employed either to support human beings or to assist in production.
- (n.) Of first rate quality; excellent; as, a capital speech or song.
- (n.) Having reference to, or involving, the forfeiture of the head or life; affecting life; punishable with death; as, capital trials; capital punishment.
- (n.) The head or uppermost member of a column, pilaster, etc. It consists generally of three parts, abacus, bell (or vase), and necking. See these terms, and Column.
- (n.) Of or pertaining to the head.
- (a.) A chapter, or section, of a book.
- (n.) Chief, in a political sense, as being the seat of the general government of a state or nation; as, Washington and Paris are capital cities.
- (n.) First in importance; chief; principal.
- (n.) The seat of government; the chief city or town in a country; a metropolis.
- (a.) An imaginary line dividing a bastion, ravelin, or other work, into two equal parts.
• CapitalizedDefinition & Meaning in English
- (imp. & p. p.) of Capitalize
• CapitallyDefinition & Meaning in English
- (adv.) In a way involving the forfeiture of the head or life; as, to punish capitally.
- (adv.) In a capital manner; excellently.