Colored Synonyms & Definitions
Synonyms are words that have the same or almost the same meaning and the definition is the detailed explanation of the word. This page will help you out finding the Definition & Synonyms of hundreds of words mentioned on this page. Check out the page and learn more about the English vocabulary.
• ColoredDefinition & Meaning in English
- (a.) Of some other color than black or white.
- (a.) Of some other color than green.
- (a.) Having color; tinged; dyed; painted; stained.
- (a.) Of some other color than white; specifically applied to negroes or persons having negro blood; as, a colored man; the colored people.
- (a.) Specious; plausible; adorned so as to appear well; as, a highly colored description.
- (imp. & p. p.) of Color
• ColorDefinition & Meaning in English
- (n.) A property depending on the relations of light to the eye, by which individual and specific differences in the hues and tints of objects are apprehended in vision; as, gay colors; sad colors, etc.
- (v. t.) To hide.
- (v. i.) To acquire color; to turn red, especially in the face; to blush.
- (n.) A distinguishing badge, as a flag or similar symbol (usually in the plural); as, the colors or color of a ship or regiment; the colors of a race horse (that is, of the cap and jacket worn by the jockey).
- (n.) An apparent right; as where the defendant in trespass gave to the plaintiff an appearance of title, by stating his title specially, thus removing the cause from the jury to the court.
- (v. t.) To change or alter the hue or tint of, by dyeing, staining, painting, etc.; to dye; to tinge; to paint; to stain.
- (n.) Shade or variety of character; kind; species.
- (n.) That which is used to give color; a paint; a pigment; as, oil colors or water colors.
- (n.) That which covers or hides the real character of anything; semblance; excuse; disguise; appearance.
- (n.) The hue or color characteristic of good health and spirits; ruddy complexion.
- (v. t.) To change or alter, as if by dyeing or painting; to give a false appearance to; usually, to give a specious appearance to; to cause to appear attractive; to make plausible; to palliate or excuse; as, the facts were colored by his prejudices.
- (n.) Any hue distinguished from white or black.