Covered Synonyms & Definitions
Synonyms are words that have the same or almost the same meaning and the definition is the detailed explanation of the word. This page will help you out finding the Definition & Synonyms of hundreds of words mentioned on this page. Check out the page and learn more about the English vocabulary.
• CoveredDefinition & Meaning in English
- (imp. & p. p.) of Covet
- (imp. & p. p.) of Cover
- (a.) Under cover; screened; sheltered; not exposed; hidden.
• CoverDefinition & Meaning in English
- (n.) Shelter; protection; as, the troops fought under cover of the batteries; the woods afforded a good cover.
- (v. t.) To invest (ones self with something); to bring upon (ones self); as, he covered himself with glory.
- (n.) A tablecloth, and the other table furniture; esp., the table furniture for the use of one person at a meal; as, covers were laid for fifty guests.
- (v. t.) To overspread the surface of (one thing) with another; as, to cover wood with paint or lacquer; to cover a table with a cloth.
- (v. t.) To remove from remembrance; to put away; to remit.
- (n.) Anything which veils or conceals; a screen; disguise; a cloak.
- (v. t.) To put the usual covering or headdress on.
- (v. t.) To envelop; to clothe, as with a mantle or cloak.
- (n.) The woods, underbrush, etc., which shelter and conceal game; covert; as, to beat a cover; to ride to cover.
- (v. t.) To extend over; to be sufficient for; to comprehend, include, or embrace; to account for or solve; to counterbalance; as, a mortgage which fully covers a sum loaned on it; a law which covers all possible cases of a crime; receipts than do not cover expenses.
- (v. t.) To copulate with (a female); to serve; as, a horse covers a mare; -- said of the male.
- (v. t.) To brood or sit on; to incubate.
- (v. t.) To hide sight; to conceal; to cloak; as, the enemy were covered from our sight by the woods.
- (v. t.) To shelter, as from evil or danger; to protect; to defend; as, the cavalry covered the retreat.
- (v. i.) To spread a table for a meal; to prepare a banquet.
- (n.) Anything which is laid, set, or spread, upon, about, or over, another thing; an envelope; a lid; as, the cover of a book.
- (n.) The lap of a slide valve.