Craned Synonyms & Definitions
Synonyms are words that have the same or almost the same meaning and the definition is the detailed explanation of the word. This page will help you out finding the Definition & Synonyms of hundreds of words mentioned on this page. Check out the page and learn more about the English vocabulary.
• CranedDefinition & Meaning in English
- (imp. & p. p.) of Crane
• CranDefinition & Meaning in English
- (n.) Alt. of Crane
• CraneDefinition & Meaning in English
- (n.) A forked post or projecting bracket to support spars, etc., -- generally used in pairs. See Crotch, 2.
- (n.) A measure for fresh herrings, -- as many as will fill a barrel.
- (n.) A siphon, or bent pipe, for drawing liquors out of a cask.
- (v. i.) to reach forward with head and neck, in order to see better; as, a hunter cranes forward before taking a leap.
- (n.) A wading bird of the genus Grus, and allied genera, of various species, having a long, straight bill, and long legs and neck.
- (v. t.) To stretch, as a crane stretches its neck; as, to crane the neck disdainfully.
- (n.) An iron arm with horizontal motion, attached to the side or back of a fireplace, for supporting kettles, etc., over a fire.
- (v. t.) To cause to rise; to raise or lift, as by a crane; -- with up.
- (n.) A machine for raising and lowering heavy weights, and, while holding them suspended, transporting them through a limited lateral distance. In one form it consists of a projecting arm or jib of timber or iron, a rotating post or base, and the necessary tackle, windlass, etc.; -- so called from a fancied similarity between its arm and the neck of a crane See Illust. of Derrick.
- (n.) The American blue heron (Ardea herodias).
- (n.) Any arm which swings about a vertical axis at one end, used for supporting a suspended weight.