Crescent Synonyms & Definitions
Synonyms are words that have the same or almost the same meaning and the definition is the detailed explanation of the word. This page will help you out finding the Definition & Synonyms of hundreds of words mentioned on this page. Check out the page and learn more about the English vocabulary.
• CrescentDefinition & Meaning in English
- (v. t.) To adorn with crescents.
- (v. t.) To form into a crescent, or something resembling a crescent.
- (n.) The ancient symbol of Byzantium or Constantinople.
- (n.) The increasing moon; the moon in her first quarter, or when defined by a concave and a convex edge; also, applied improperly to the old or decreasing moon in a like state.
- (n.) Anything having the shape of a crescent or new moon.
- (n.) A symbol of Artemis, or Diana.
- (n.) The emblem of the Turkish Empire, adopted after the taking of Constantinople.
- (a.) Shaped like a crescent.
- (n.) Any one of three orders of knighthood; the first instituted by Charles I., king of Naples and Sicily, in 1268; the second by Rene of Anjou, in 1448; and the third by the Sultan Selim III., in 1801, to be conferred upon foreigners to whom Turkey might be indebted for valuable services.
- (n.) A representation of the increasing moon, often used as an emblem or badge
- (a.) Increasing; growing.
- (n.) The emblem of the increasing moon with horns directed upward, when used in a coat of arms; -- often used as a mark of cadency to distinguish a second son and his descendants.
• CrescenticDefinition & Meaning in English
- (a.) Crescent-shaped.
• CrescentwiseDefinition & Meaning in English
- (adv.) In the form of a crescent; like a crescent.