Excise Synonyms & Definitions
Synonyms are words that have the same or almost the same meaning and the definition is the detailed explanation of the word. This page will help you out finding the Definition & Synonyms of hundreds of words mentioned on this page. Check out the page and learn more about the English vocabulary.
• ExciseDefinition & Meaning in English
- (v. t.) To cut out or off; to separate and remove; as, to excise a tumor.
- (n.) That department or bureau of the public service charged with the collection of the excise taxes.
- (n.) In inland duty or impost operating as an indirect tax on the consumer, levied upon certain specified articles, as, tobacco, ale, spirits, etc., grown or manufactured in the country. It is also levied to pursue certain trades and deal in certain commodities. Certain direct taxes (as, in England, those on carriages, servants, plate, armorial bearings, etc.), are included in the excise. Often used adjectively; as, excise duties; excise law; excise system.
- (v. t.) To lay or impose an excise upon.
- (v. t.) To impose upon; to overcharge.
• ExcisedDefinition & Meaning in English
- (imp. & p. p.) of Excise