Fan Synonyms & Definitions
Synonyms are words that have the same or almost the same meaning and the definition is the detailed explanation of the word. This page will help you out finding the Definition & Synonyms of hundreds of words mentioned on this page. Check out the page and learn more about the English vocabulary.
• FanDefinition & Meaning in English
- (n.) Any revolving vane or vanes used for producing currents of air, in winnowing grain, blowing a fire, ventilation, etc., or for checking rapid motion by the resistance of the air; a fan blower; a fan wheel.
- (n.) To ventilate; to blow on; to affect by air put in motion.
- (n.) To move as with a fan.
- (n.) An instrument for cooling the person, made of feathers, paper, silk, etc., and often mounted on sticks all turning about the same pivot, so as when opened to radiate from the center and assume the figure of a section of a circle.
- (n.) A small vane or sail, used to keep the large sails of a smock windmill always in the direction of the wind.
- (n.) An instrument used for producing artificial currents of air, by the wafting or revolving motion of a broad surface
- (n.) An instrument for winnowing grain, by moving which the grain is tossed and agitated, and the chaff is separated and blown away.
- (n.) A quintain; -- from its form.
- (n.) That which produces effects analogous to those of a fan, as in exciting a flame, etc.; that which inflames, heightens, or strengthens; as, it served as a fan to the flame of his passion.
- (n.) To cool and refresh, by moving the air with a fan; to blow the air on the face of with a fan.
- (n.) To excite or stir up to activity, as a fan axcites a flame; to stimulate; as, this conduct fanned the excitement of the populace.
- (n.) To winnow; to separate chaff from, and drive it away by a current of air; as, to fan wheat.
- (n.) Something in the form of a fan when spread, as a peacocks tail, a window, etc.
• FangotDefinition & Meaning in English
- (n.) A quantity of wares, as raw silk, etc., from one hundred weight.
• Fan-nervedDefinition & Meaning in English
- (a.) Having the nerves or veins arranged in a radiating manner; -- said of certain leaves, and of the wings of some insects.