Fathering Synonyms & Definitions
Synonyms are words that have the same or almost the same meaning and the definition is the detailed explanation of the word. This page will help you out finding the Definition & Synonyms of hundreds of words mentioned on this page. Check out the page and learn more about the English vocabulary.
• FatheringDefinition & Meaning in English
- (p. pr. & vb. n.) of Father
• FatherDefinition & Meaning in English
- (n.) A respectful mode of address to an old man.
- (n.) A male ancestor more remote than a parent; a progenitor; especially, a first ancestor; a founder of a race or family; -- in the plural, fathers, ancestors.
- (n.) One who, or that which, gives origin; an originator; a producer, author, or contriver; the first to practice any art, profession, or occupation; a distinguished example or teacher.
- (v. t.) To make ones self the father of; to beget.
- (v. t.) To take as ones own child; to adopt; hence, to assume as ones own work; to acknowledge ones self author of or responsible for (a statement, policy, etc.).
- (n.) One who has begotten a child, whether son or daughter; a generator; a male parent.
- (n.) One who performs the offices of a parent by maintenance, affetionate care, counsel, or protection.
- (v. t.) To provide with a father.
- (n.) A senator of ancient Rome.
- (n.) One of the chief esslesiastical authorities of the first centuries after Christ; -- often spoken of collectively as the Fathers; as, the Latin, Greek, or apostolic Fathers.
- (n.) A dignitary of the church, a superior of a convent, a confessor (called also father confessor), or a priest; also, the eldest member of a profession, or of a legislative assembly, etc.
- (n.) The Supreme Being and Creator; God; in theology, the first person in the Trinity.