Following Synonyms & Definitions
Synonyms are words that have the same or almost the same meaning and the definition is the detailed explanation of the word. This page will help you out finding the Definition & Synonyms of hundreds of words mentioned on this page. Check out the page and learn more about the English vocabulary.
• FollowingDefinition & Meaning in English
- (a.) Next after; succeeding; ensuing; as, the assembly was held on the following day.
- (p. pr. & vb. n.) of Follow
- (n.) Vocation; business; profession.
- (n.) Ones followers, adherents, or dependents, collectively.
- (a.) (In the field of a telescope) In the direction from which stars are apparently moving (in consequence of the earths rotation); as, a small star, north following or south following. In the direction toward which stars appear to move is called preceding.
• FollowDefinition & Meaning in English
- (v. t.) To result from, as an effect from a cause, or an inference from a premise.
- (v. t.) To endeavor to overtake; to go in pursuit of; to chase; to pursue; to prosecute.
- (v. t.) To watch, as a receding object; to keep the eyes fixed upon while in motion; to keep the mind upon while in progress, as a speech, musical performance, etc.; also, to keep up with; to understand the meaning, connection, or force of, as of a course of thought or argument.
- (v. i.) To go or come after; -- used in the various senses of the transitive verb: To pursue; to attend; to accompany; to be a result; to imitate.
- (v. t.) To walk in, as a road or course; to attend upon closely, as a profession or calling.
- (v. t.) To go or come after; to move behind in the same path or direction; hence, to go with (a leader, guide, etc.); to accompany; to attend.
- (v. t.) To succeed in order of time, rank, or office.
- (v. t.) To accept as authority; to adopt the opinions of; to obey; to yield to; to take as a rule of action; as, to follow good advice.
- (v. t.) To copy after; to take as an example.
- (n.) The art or process of following; specif., in some games, as billiards, a stroke causing a ball to follow another ball after hitting it. Also used adjectively; as, follow shot.
• Following edgeDefinition & Meaning in English
- () See Advancing-edge, above.
• Following surfaceDefinition & Meaning in English
- () See Advancing-surface, above.