Gases Synonyms & Definitions
Synonyms are words that have the same or almost the same meaning and the definition is the detailed explanation of the word. This page will help you out finding the Definition & Synonyms of hundreds of words mentioned on this page. Check out the page and learn more about the English vocabulary.
• GasesDefinition & Meaning in English
- (pl. ) of Gas
• GasDefinition & Meaning in English
- (n.) Laughing gas.
- (n.) Any irrespirable aeriform fluid.
- (n.) A complex mixture of gases, of which the most important constituents are marsh gas, olefiant gas, and hydrogen, artificially produced by the destructive distillation of gas coal, or sometimes of peat, wood, oil, resin, etc. It gives a brilliant light when burned, and is the common gas used for illuminating purposes.
- (n.) An aeriform fluid; -- a term used at first by chemists as synonymous with air, but since restricted to fluids supposed to be permanently elastic, as oxygen, hydrogen, etc., in distinction from vapors, as steam, which become liquid on a reduction of temperature. In present usage, since all of the supposed permanent gases have been liquified by cold and pressure, the term has resumed nearly its original signification, and is applied to any substance in the elastic or aeriform state.
- (v. t.) To singe, as in a gas flame, so as to remove loose fibers; as, to gas thread.
- (v. t.) To impregnate with gas; as, to gas lime with chlorine in the manufacture of bleaching powder.
- (n.) Gasoline.
- (v. t.) to expose to a poisonous or noxious gas