Hatching Synonyms & Definitions
Synonyms are words that have the same or almost the same meaning and the definition is the detailed explanation of the word. This page will help you out finding the Definition & Synonyms of hundreds of words mentioned on this page. Check out the page and learn more about the English vocabulary.
• HatchingDefinition & Meaning in English
- (n.) A mode of execution in engraving, drawing, and miniature painting, in which shading is produced by lines crossing each other at angles more or less acute; -- called also crosshatching.
- (p. pr. & vb. n.) of Hatch
• HatchDefinition & Meaning in English
- (v. t.) To produce, as young, from an egg or eggs by incubation, or by artificial heat; to produce young from (eggs); as, the young when hatched.
- (n.) An opening in the deck of a vessel or floor of a warehouse which serves as a passageway or hoistway; a hatchway; also; a cover or door, or one of the covers used in closing such an opening.
- (v. i.) To produce young; -- said of eggs; to come forth from the egg; -- said of the young of birds, fishes, insects, etc.
- (v. t.) To contrive or plot; to form by meditation, and bring into being; to originate and produce; to concoct; as, to hatch mischief; to hatch heresy.
- (n.) A bedstead.
- (n.) A door with an opening over it; a half door, sometimes set with spikes on the upper edge.
- (n.) The chickens produced at once or by one incubation; a brood.
- (n.) Development; disclosure; discovery.
- (n.) A frame or weir in a river, for catching fish.
- (v. t.) To cross with lines in a peculiar manner in drawing and engraving. See Hatching.
- (v. t.) To cross; to spot; to stain; to steep.
- (n.) A flood gate; a a sluice gate.
- (n.) The act of hatching.
- (n.) An opening into, or in search of, a mine.
- (v. t.) To close with a hatch or hatches.