Hem Synonyms & Definitions
Synonyms are words that have the same or almost the same meaning and the definition is the detailed explanation of the word. This page will help you out finding the Definition & Synonyms of hundreds of words mentioned on this page. Check out the page and learn more about the English vocabulary.
• HemDefinition & Meaning in English
- (v. i.) To make the sound expressed by the word hem; hence, to hesitate in speaking.
- (pron.) Them
- (v. t.) To border; to edge
- (v. t.) To form a hem or border to; to fold and sew down the edge of.
- (interj.) An onomatopoetic word used as an expression of hesitation, doubt, etc. It is often a sort of voluntary half cough, loud or subdued, and would perhaps be better expressed by hm.
- (n.) Border; edge; margin.
- (n.) A border made on sheet-metal ware by doubling over the edge of the sheet, to stiffen it and remove the sharp edge.
- (n.) An utterance or sound of the voice, hem or hm, often indicative of hesitation or doubt, sometimes used to call attention.
- (n.) The edge or border of a garment or cloth, doubled over and sewed, to strengthen raveling.
• HemachateDefinition & Meaning in English
- (n.) A species of agate, sprinkled with spots of red jasper.