Horn Synonyms & Definitions
Synonyms are words that have the same or almost the same meaning and the definition is the detailed explanation of the word. This page will help you out finding the Definition & Synonyms of hundreds of words mentioned on this page. Check out the page and learn more about the English vocabulary.
• HornDefinition & Meaning in English
- (n.) Something made of a horn, or in resemblance of a horn
- (n.) The high pommel of a saddle; also, either of the projections on a ladys saddle for supporting the leg.
- (v. t.) To cause to wear horns; to cuckold.
- (n.) The curving extremity of the wing of an army or of a squadron drawn up in a crescentlike form.
- (n.) Any natural projection or excrescence from an animal, resembling or thought to resemble a horn in substance or form; esp.: (a) A projection from the beak of a bird, as in the hornbill. (b) A tuft of feathers on the head of a bird, as in the horned owl. (c) A hornlike projection from the head or thorax of an insect, or the head of a reptile, or fish. (d) A sharp spine in front of the fins of a fish, as in the horned pout.
- (n.) A wind instrument of music; originally, one made of a horn (of an ox or a ram); now applied to various elaborately wrought instruments of brass or other metal, resembling a horn in shape.
- (n.) A hard, projecting, and usually pointed organ, growing upon the heads of certain animals, esp. of the ruminants, as cattle, goats, and the like. The hollow horns of the Ox family consist externally of true horn, and are never shed.
- (v. t.) To furnish with horns; to give the shape of a horn to.
- (n.) The cornucopia, or horn of plenty.
- (n.) The outer end of a crosstree; also, one of the projections forming the jaws of a gaff, boom, etc.
- (n.) The pointed beak of an anvil.
- (n.) One of the curved ends of a crescent; esp., an extremity or cusp of the moon when crescent-shaped.
- (n.) The antler of a deer, which is of bone throughout, and annually shed and renewed.
- (n.) An emblem of a cuckold; -- used chiefly in the plural.
- (n.) One of the projections at the four corners of the Jewish altar of burnt offering.
- (n.) A curved projection on the fore part of a plane.
- (n.) A vessel made of a horn; esp., one designed for containing powder; anciently, a small vessel for carrying liquids.
- (n.) The tough, fibrous material of which true horns are composed, being, in the Ox family, chiefly albuminous, with some phosphate of lime; also, any similar substance, as that which forms the hoof crust of horses, sheep, and cattle; as, a spoon of horn.
- (n.) An incurved, tapering and pointed appendage found in the flowers of the milkweed (Asclepias).
- (n.) A symbol of strength, power, glory, exaltation, or pride.
- (n.) A drinking cup, or beaker, as having been originally made of the horns of cattle.
- (n.) The Ionic volute.
• HornfishDefinition & Meaning in English
- (n.) The garfish or sea needle.