Last Synonyms & Definitions
Synonyms are words that have the same or almost the same meaning and the definition is the detailed explanation of the word. This page will help you out finding the Definition & Synonyms of hundreds of words mentioned on this page. Check out the page and learn more about the English vocabulary.
• LastDefinition & Meaning in English
- (a.) Next before the present; as, I saw him last week.
- (a.) Farthest of all from a given quality, character, or condition; most unlikely; having least fitness; as, he is the last person to be accused of theft.
- (a.) At a time next preceding the present time.
- (n.) The burden of a ship; a cargo.
- (a.) Lowest in rank or degree; as, the last prize.
- (v. i.) To continue in time; to endure; to remain in existence.
- (a.) Supreme; highest in degree; utmost.
- (n.) A load; a heavy burden; hence, a certain weight or measure, generally estimated at 4,000 lbs., but varying for different articles and in different countries. In England, a last of codfish, white herrings, meal, or ashes, is twelve barrels; a last of corn, ten quarters, or eighty bushels, in some parts of England, twenty-one quarters; of gunpowder, twenty-four barrels, each containing 100 lbs; of red herrings, twenty cades, or 20,000; of hides, twelve dozen; of leather, twenty dickers; of pitch and tar, fourteen barrels; of wool, twelve sacks; of flax or feathers, 1,700 lbs.
- (v. t.) To shape with a last; to fasten or fit to a last; to place smoothly on a last; as, to last a boot.
- (a.) At a time or on an occasion which is the latest of all those spoken of or which have occurred; the last time; as, I saw him last in New York.
- (3d pers. sing. pres.) of Last, to endure, contracted from lasteth.
- (v. i.) A wooden block shaped like the human foot, on which boots and shoes are formed.
- (a.) In conclusion; finally.
- (a.) Being after all the others, similarly classed or considered, in time, place, or order of succession; following all the rest; final; hindmost; farthest; as, the last year of a century; the last man in a line of soldiers; the last page in a book; his last chance.
- (v. i.) To endure use, or continue in existence, without impairment or exhaustion; as, this cloth lasts better than that; the fuel will last through the winter.
• LastedDefinition & Meaning in English
- (imp. & p. p.) of Last
• LastageDefinition & Meaning in English
- (n.) The lading of a ship; also, ballast.
- (n.) Room for stowing goods, as in a ship.
- (n.) A duty exacted, in some fairs or markets, for the right to carry things where one will.
- (n.) A tax on wares sold by the last.