Liveries Synonyms & Definitions
Synonyms are words that have the same or almost the same meaning and the definition is the detailed explanation of the word. This page will help you out finding the Definition & Synonyms of hundreds of words mentioned on this page. Check out the page and learn more about the English vocabulary.
• LiveriesDefinition & Meaning in English
- (pl. ) of Livery
• LiveryDefinition & Meaning in English
- (n.) The uniform clothing issued by feudal superiors to their retainers and serving as a badge when in military service.
- (n.) The writ by which possession is obtained.
- (n.) A low grade of wool.
- (n.) Hence, also, the peculiar dress or garb appropriated by any association or body of persons to their own use; as, the livery of the London tradesmen, of a priest, of a charity school, etc.; also, the whole body or company of persons wearing such a garb, and entitled to the privileges of the association; as, the whole livery of London.
- (n.) Hence, any characteristic dress or outward appearance.
- (n.) The act of delivering possession of lands or tenements.
- (n.) The peculiar dress by which the servants of a nobleman or gentleman are distinguished; as, a claret-colored livery.
- (n.) The feeding, stabling, and care of horses for compensation; boarding; as, to keep ones horses at livery.
- (n.) An allowance of food statedly given out; a ration, as to a family, to servants, to horses, etc.
- (n.) The keeping of horses in readiness to be hired temporarily for riding or driving; the state of being so kept.
- (v. t.) To clothe in, or as in, livery.
- (n.) Release from wardship; deliverance.
- (n.) That which is delivered out statedly or formally, as clothing, food, etc.