Lower Synonyms & Definitions
Synonyms are words that have the same or almost the same meaning and the definition is the detailed explanation of the word. This page will help you out finding the Definition & Synonyms of hundreds of words mentioned on this page. Check out the page and learn more about the English vocabulary.
• LowerDefinition & Meaning in English
- (a.) To depress as to direction; as, to lower the aim of a gun; to make less elevated as to object; as, to lower ones ambition, aspirations, or hopes.
- (v. i.) To be dark, gloomy, and threatening, as clouds; to be covered with dark and threatening clouds, as the sky; to show threatening signs of approach, as a tempest.
- (a.) To reduce in value, amount, etc. ; as, to lower the price of goods, the rate of interest, etc.
- (a.) To bring down; to humble; as, to lower ones pride.
- (a.) To reduce the height of; as, to lower a fence or wall; to lower a chimney or turret.
- (a.) To reduce the degree, intensity, strength, etc., of; as, to lower the temperature of anything; to lower ones vitality; to lower distilled liquors.
- (a.) To let descend by its own weight, as something suspended; to let down; as, to lower a bucket into a well; to lower a sail or a boat; sometimes, to pull down; as, to lower a flag.
- (v. i.) To fall; to sink; to grow less; to diminish; to decrease; as, the river lowered as rapidly as it rose.
- (a.) Compar. of Low, a.
- (v. i.) To frown; to look sullen.
- (n.) A frowning; sullenness.
- (n.) Cloudiness; gloominess.
• LowermostDefinition & Meaning in English
- (superl.) Lowest.