Muffled Synonyms & Definitions
Synonyms are words that have the same or almost the same meaning and the definition is the detailed explanation of the word. This page will help you out finding the Definition & Synonyms of hundreds of words mentioned on this page. Check out the page and learn more about the English vocabulary.
• MuffledDefinition & Meaning in English
- (imp. & p. p.) of Muffle
• MuffleDefinition & Meaning in English
- (v. t.) To prevent seeing, or hearing, or speaking, by wraps bound about the head; to blindfold; to deafen.
- (n.) The bare end of the nose between the nostrils; -- used esp. of ruminants.
- (v. i.) To speak indistinctly, or without clear articulation.
- (v. t.) A pulley block containing several sheaves.
- (v. t.) Anything with which another thing, as an oar or drum, is muffled; also, a boxing glove; a muff.
- (v. t.) A small oven for baking and fixing the colors of painted or printed pottery, without exposing the pottery to the flames of the furnace or kiln.
- (v. t.) An earthenware compartment or oven, often shaped like a half cylinder, used in furnaces to protect objects heated from the direct action of the fire, as in scorification of ores, cupellation of ore buttons, etc.
- (v. t.) To wrap up in something that conceals or protects; to wrap, as the face and neck, in thick and disguising folds; hence, to conceal or cover the face of; to envelop; to inclose; -- often with up.
- (v. t.) To wrap with something that dulls or deadens the sound of; as, to muffle the strings of a drum, or that part of an oar which rests in the rowlock.