Orient Synonyms & Definitions
Synonyms are words that have the same or almost the same meaning and the definition is the detailed explanation of the word. This page will help you out finding the Definition & Synonyms of hundreds of words mentioned on this page. Check out the page and learn more about the English vocabulary.
• OrientDefinition & Meaning in English
- (v. t.) To place (a map or chart) so that its east side, north side, etc., lie toward the corresponding parts of the horizon;
- (v. t.) Same as Orientate, 2.
- (v. t.) to rotate (a map attached to a plane table) until the line of direction between any two of its points is parallel to the corresponding direction in nature.
- (a.) Bright; lustrous; superior; pure; perfect; pellucid; -- used of gems and also figuratively, because the most perfect jewels are found in the East.
- (n.) A pearl of great luster.
- (n.) The countries of Asia or the East.
- (v. t.) Fig.: To correct or set right by recurring to first principles; to arrange in order; to orientate.
- (v. t.) To define the position of, in relation to the orient or east; hence, to ascertain the bearings of.
- (a.) Eastern; oriental.
- (a.) Rising, as the sun.
- (n.) The part of the horizon where the sun first appears in the morning; the east.
• OrientateDefinition & Meaning in English
- (v. t.) To arrange in order; to dispose or place (a body) so as to show its relation to other bodies, or the relation of its parts among themselves.
- (v. i.) To move or turn toward the east; to veer from the north or south toward the east.
- (v. t.) To place or turn toward the east; to cause to assume an easterly direction, or to veer eastward.