Paring Synonyms & Definitions
Synonyms are words that have the same or almost the same meaning and the definition is the detailed explanation of the word. This page will help you out finding the Definition & Synonyms of hundreds of words mentioned on this page. Check out the page and learn more about the English vocabulary.
• ParingDefinition & Meaning in English
- (v. t.) The act of cutting off the surface or extremites of anything.
- (p. pr. & vb. n.) of Pare
- (v. t.) That which is pared off.
• ParDefinition & Meaning in English
- (n.) An amount which is taken as an average or mean.
- (n.) The number of strokes required for a hole or a round played without mistake, two strokes being allowed on each hole for putting. Par represents perfect play, whereas bogey makes allowance on some holes for human frailty. Thus if par for a course is 75, bogey is usually put down, arbitrarily, as 81 or 82.
- (n.) Equal value; equality of nominal and actual value; the value expressed on the face or in the words of a certificate of value, as a bond or other commercial paper.
- (n.) See Parr.
- (prep.) By; with; -- used frequently in Early English in phrases taken from the French, being sometimes written as a part of the word which it governs; as, par amour, or paramour; par cas, or parcase; par fay, or parfay.
- (n.) Equality of condition or circumstances.
• PareDefinition & Meaning in English
- (v. t.) To cut off, or shave off, the superficial substance or extremities of; as, to pare an apple; to pare a horses hoof.
- (v. t.) Fig.: To diminish the bulk of; to reduce; to lessen.
- (v. t.) To remove; to separate; to cut or shave, as the skin, ring, or outside part, from anything; -- followed by off or away; as; to pare off the ring of fruit; to pare away redundancies.