Penitent Synonyms & Definitions
Synonyms are words that have the same or almost the same meaning and the definition is the detailed explanation of the word. This page will help you out finding the Definition & Synonyms of hundreds of words mentioned on this page. Check out the page and learn more about the English vocabulary.
• PenitentDefinition & Meaning in English
- (a.) Doing penance.
- (n.) One under the direction of a confessor.
- (n.) One under church censure, but admitted to penance; one undergoing penance.
- (a.) Feeling pain or sorrow on account of sins or offenses; repentant; contrite; sincerely affected by a sense of guilt, and resolved on amendment of life.
- (n.) One who repents of sin; one sorrowful on account of his transgressions.
• PenitentialDefinition & Meaning in English
- (n.) A book formerly used by priests hearing confessions, containing rules for the imposition of penances; -- called also penitential book.
- (a.) Of or pertaining to penitence, or to penance; expressing penitence; of the nature of penance; as, the penitential book; penitential tears.
• PenitentiariesDefinition & Meaning in English
- (pl. ) of Penitentiary