Plunge Synonyms & Definitions
Synonyms are words that have the same or almost the same meaning and the definition is the detailed explanation of the word. This page will help you out finding the Definition & Synonyms of hundreds of words mentioned on this page. Check out the page and learn more about the English vocabulary.
• PlungeDefinition & Meaning in English
- (n.) The act of thrusting into or submerging; a dive, leap, rush, or pitch into, or as into, water; as, to take the water with a plunge.
- (n.) Hence, a desperate hazard or act; a state of being submerged or overwhelmed with difficulties.
- (v. t.) To baptize by immersion.
- (v. t.) To entangle; to embarrass; to overcome.
- (v. i.) To pitch or throw ones self headlong or violently forward, as a horse does.
- (n.) Heavy and reckless betting in horse racing; hazardous speculation.
- (n.) The act of pitching or throwing ones self headlong or violently forward, like an unruly horse.
- (v. i.) To bet heavily and with seeming recklessness on a race, or other contest; in an extended sense, to risk large sums in hazardous speculations.
- (v. t.) To thrust into water, or into any substance that is penetrable; to immerse; to cause to penetrate or enter quickly and forcibly; to thrust; as, to plunge the body into water; to plunge a dagger into the breast. Also used figuratively; as, to plunge a nation into war.
- (v. i.) To thrust or cast ones self into water or other fluid; to submerge ones self; to dive, or to rush in; as, he plunged into the river. Also used figuratively; as, to plunge into debt.
• PlungedDefinition & Meaning in English
- (imp. & p. p.) of Plunge