Purl Synonyms & Definitions
Synonyms are words that have the same or almost the same meaning and the definition is the detailed explanation of the word. This page will help you out finding the Definition & Synonyms of hundreds of words mentioned on this page. Check out the page and learn more about the English vocabulary.
• PurlDefinition & Meaning in English
- (n.) A tern.
- (n.) An embroidered and puckered border; a hem or fringe, often of gold or silver twist; also, a pleat or fold, as of a band.
- (n.) A circle made by the notion of a fluid; an eddy; a ripple.
- (n.) Malt liquor, medicated or spiced; formerly, ale or beer in which wormwood or other bitter herbs had been infused, and which was regarded as tonic; at present, hot beer mixed with gin, sugar, and spices.
- (n.) A gentle murmur, as that produced by the running of a liquid among obstructions; as, the purl of a brook.
- (v. i.) To run swiftly round, as a small stream flowing among stones or other obstructions; to eddy; also, to make a murmuring sound, as water does in running over or through obstructions.
- (v. & n.) To rise in circles, ripples, or undulations; to curl; to mantle.
- (v. t.) To decorate with fringe or embroidery.
- (n.) An inversion of stitches in knitting, which gives to the work a ribbed or waved appearance.
• PurloiningDefinition & Meaning in English
- (p. pr. & vb. n.) of Purloin