Retire Synonyms & Definitions
Synonyms are words that have the same or almost the same meaning and the definition is the detailed explanation of the word. This page will help you out finding the Definition & Synonyms of hundreds of words mentioned on this page. Check out the page and learn more about the English vocabulary.
• RetireDefinition & Meaning in English
- (v. i.) To withdraw from a public station, or from business; as, having made a large fortune, he retired.
- (v. i.) To recede; to fall or bend back; as, the shore of the sea retires in bays and gulfs.
- (n.) A call sounded on a bugle, announcing to skirmishers that they are to retire, or fall back.
- (v. i.) To go back or return; to draw back or away; to keep aloof; to withdraw or retreat, as from observation; to go into privacy; as, to retire to his home; to retire from the world, or from notice.
- (v. t.) To withdraw; to take away; -- sometimes used reflexively.
- (v. t.) To withdraw from circulation, or from the market; to take up and pay; as, to retire bonds; to retire a note.
- (v. i.) To go to bed; as, he usually retires early.
- (v. t.) To cause to retire; specifically, to designate as no longer qualified for active service; to place on the retired list; as, to retire a military or naval officer.
- (v. i.) To retreat from action or danger; to withdraw for safety or pleasure; as, to retire from battle.
- (n.) The act of retiring, or the state of being retired; also, a place to which one retires.
• RetiredDefinition & Meaning in English
- (a.) Private; secluded; quiet; as, a retired life; a person of retired habits.
- (a.) Withdrawn from active duty or business; as, a retired officer; a retired physician.
- (imp. & p. p.) of Retire