Roar Synonyms & Definitions
Synonyms are words that have the same or almost the same meaning and the definition is the detailed explanation of the word. This page will help you out finding the Definition & Synonyms of hundreds of words mentioned on this page. Check out the page and learn more about the English vocabulary.
• RoarDefinition & Meaning in English
- (v. i.) To cry with a full, loud, continued sound.
- (n.) A loud, continuous, and confused sound; as, the roar of a cannon, of the wind, or the waves; the roar of ocean.
- (v. i.) To make a loud noise in breathing, as horses having a certain disease. See Roaring, 2.
- (n.) The sound of roaring.
- (n.) The cry of one in pain, distress, anger, or the like.
- (v. i.) To be boisterous; to be disorderly.
- (v. i.) To bellow, or utter a deep, loud cry, as a lion or other beast.
- (v. i.) To cry loudly, as in pain, distress, or anger.
- (v. i.) To make a loud, confused sound, as winds, waves, passing vehicles, a crowd of persons when shouting together, or the like.
- (v. i.) To laugh out loudly and continuously; as, the hearers roared at his jokes.
- (n.) The deep, loud cry of a wild beast; as, the roar of a lion.
- (n.) A boisterous outcry or shouting, as in mirth.
- (v. t.) To cry aloud; to proclaim loudly.
• Roaring fortiesDefinition & Meaning in English
- () The middle latitudes of the southern hemisphere. So called from the boisterous and prevailing westerly winds, which are especially strong in the South Indian Ocean up to 50í S.