Rub Synonyms & Definitions
Synonyms are words that have the same or almost the same meaning and the definition is the detailed explanation of the word. This page will help you out finding the Definition & Synonyms of hundreds of words mentioned on this page. Check out the page and learn more about the English vocabulary.
• RubDefinition & Meaning in English
- (n.) The act of rubbing; friction.
- (n.) A stone, commonly flat, used to sharpen cutting tools; a whetstone; -- called also rubstone.
- (v. t.) To hinder; to cross; to thwart.
- (n.) Something grating to the feelings; sarcasm; joke; as, a hard rub.
- (v. t.) To subject (a body) to the action of something moving over its surface with pressure and friction, especially to the action of something moving back and forth; as, to rub the flesh with the hand; to rub wood with sandpaper.
- (v. t.) To move over the surface of (a body) with pressure and friction; to graze; to chafe; as, the boat rubs the ground.
- (n.) Inequality of surface, as of the ground in the game of bowls; unevenness.
- (n.) Imperfection; failing; fault.
- (n.) That which rubs; that which tends to hinder or obstruct motion or progress; hindrance; obstruction, an impediment; especially, a difficulty or obstruction hard to overcome; a pinch.
- (v. i.) To fret; to chafe; as, to rub upon a sore.
- (v. t.) To spread a substance thinly over; to smear.
- (v. i.) To move along the surface of a body with pressure; to grate; as, a wheel rubs against the gatepost.
- (v. t.) To scour; to burnish; to polish; to brighten; to cleanse; -- often with up or over; as, to rub up silver.
- (n.) A chance.
- (v. i.) To move or pass with difficulty; as, to rub through woods, as huntsmen; to rub through the world.
- (v. t.) To cause (a body) to move with pressure and friction along a surface; as, to rub the hand over the body.
• RubbedDefinition & Meaning in English
- (imp. & p. p.) of Rub
• RubatoDefinition & Meaning in English
- (a.) Robbed; borrowed.