Ruffled Synonyms & Definitions
Synonyms are words that have the same or almost the same meaning and the definition is the detailed explanation of the word. This page will help you out finding the Definition & Synonyms of hundreds of words mentioned on this page. Check out the page and learn more about the English vocabulary.
• RuffledDefinition & Meaning in English
- (imp. & p. p.) of Ruffle
• RuffleDefinition & Meaning in English
- (v. t.) To throw together in a disorderly manner.
- (v. t.) To oughen or disturb the surface of; to make uneven by agitation or commotion.
- (v. t. & i.) That which is ruffled; specifically, a strip of lace, cambric, or other fine cloth, plaited or gathered on one edge or in the middle, and used as a trimming; a frill.
- (v. t. & i.) A low, vibrating beat of a drum, not so loud as a roll; -- called also ruff.
- (v. t.) To beat with the ruff or ruffle, as a drum.
- (v. t.) To make into a ruff; to draw or contract into puckers, plaits, or folds; to wrinkle.
- (v. t. & i.) The connected series of large egg capsules, or oothecae, of any one of several species of American marine gastropods of the genus Fulgur. See Ootheca.
- (v. i.) To become disordered; to play loosely; to flutter.
- (v. t.) To furnish with ruffles; as, to ruffle a shirt.
- (v. t. & i.) A state of being ruffled or disturbed; disturbance; agitation; commotion; as, to put the mind in a ruffle.
- (v. t.) To throw into disorder or confusion.
- (v. i.) To grow rough, boisterous, or turbulent.
- (v. t.) To discompose; to agitate; to disturb.
- (v. t.) To erect in a ruff, as feathers.
- (v. i.) To be rough; to jar; to be in contention; hence, to put on airs; to swagger.