Shock Synonyms & Definitions
Synonyms are words that have the same or almost the same meaning and the definition is the detailed explanation of the word. This page will help you out finding the Definition & Synonyms of hundreds of words mentioned on this page. Check out the page and learn more about the English vocabulary.
• ShockDefinition & Meaning in English
- (v. t.) To subject to the action of an electrical discharge so as to cause a more or less violent depression or commotion of the nervous system.
- (a.) Bushy; shaggy; as, a shock hair.
- (v.) To strike with surprise, terror, horror, or disgust; to cause to recoil; as, his violence shocked his associates.
- (n.) A dog with long hair or shag; -- called also shockdog.
- (v. i.) To meet with a shock; to meet in violent encounter.
- (n.) A lot consisting of sixty pieces; -- a term applied in some Baltic ports to loose goods.
- (n.) A thick mass of bushy hair; as, a head covered with a shock of sandy hair.
- (n.) A pile or assemblage of sheaves of grain, as wheat, rye, or the like, set up in a field, the sheaves varying in number from twelve to sixteen; a stook.
- (v.) To give a shock to; to cause to shake or waver; hence, to strike against suddenly; to encounter with violence.
- (v. i.) To be occupied with making shocks.
- (v. t.) To collect, or make up, into a shock or shocks; to stook; as, to shock rye.
- (n.) A sudden agitation of the mind or feelings; a sensation of pleasure or pain caused by something unexpected or overpowering; also, a sudden agitating or overpowering event.
- (n.) A sudden depression of the vital forces of the entire body, or of a port of it, marking some profound impression produced upon the nervous system, as by severe injury, overpowering emotion, or the like.
- (n.) The sudden convulsion or contraction of the muscles, with the feeling of a concussion, caused by the discharge, through the animal system, of electricity from a charged body.
- (n.) A quivering or shaking which is the effect of a blow, collision, or violent impulse; a blow, impact, or collision; a concussion; a sudden violent impulse or onset.
• ShockedDefinition & Meaning in English
- (imp. & p. p.) of Shock