Shoulder Synonyms & Definitions
Synonyms are words that have the same or almost the same meaning and the definition is the detailed explanation of the word. This page will help you out finding the Definition & Synonyms of hundreds of words mentioned on this page. Check out the page and learn more about the English vocabulary.
• ShoulderDefinition & Meaning in English
- (v. i.) To push with the shoulder; to make ones way, as through a crowd, by using the shoulders; to move swaying the shoulders from side to side.
- (n.) Fig.: That which supports or sustains; support.
- (n.) That which resembles a human shoulder, as any protuberance or projection from the body of a thing.
- (n.) The flesh and muscles connected with the shoulder joint; the upper part of the back; that part of the human frame on which it is most easy to carry a heavy burden; -- often used in the plural.
- (n.) The upper joint of the fore leg and adjacent parts of an animal, dressed for market; as, a shoulder of mutton.
- (v. t.) To take upon the shoulder or shoulders; as, to shoulder a basket; hence, to assume the burden or responsibility of; as, to shoulder blame; to shoulder a debt.
- (v. t.) To push or thrust with the shoulder; to push with violence; to jostle.
- (n.) An abrupt projection which forms an abutment on an object, or limits motion, etc., as the projection around a tenon at the end of a piece of timber, the part of the top of a type which projects beyond the base of the raised character, etc.
- (n.) The joint, or the region of the joint, by which the fore limb is connected with the body or with the shoulder girdle; the projection formed by the bones and muscles about that joint.
- (n.) The angle of a bastion included between the face and flank. See Illust. of Bastion.
• Shoulder-shottenDefinition & Meaning in English
- (a.) Sprained in the shoulder, as a horse.