Side Synonyms & Definitions
Synonyms are words that have the same or almost the same meaning and the definition is the detailed explanation of the word. This page will help you out finding the Definition & Synonyms of hundreds of words mentioned on this page. Check out the page and learn more about the English vocabulary.
• SideDefinition & Meaning in English
- (v. t.) To furnish with a siding; as, to side a house.
- (n.) Long; large; extensive.
- (n.) The position of a person or party regarded as opposed to another person or party, whether as a rival or a foe; a body of advocates or partisans; a party; hence, the interest or cause which one maintains against another; a doctrine or view opposed to another.
- (n.) The margin, edge, verge, or border of a surface; especially (when the thing spoken of is somewhat oblong in shape), one of the longer edges as distinguished from the shorter edges, called ends; a bounding line of a geometrical figure; as, the side of a field, of a square or triangle, of a river, of a road, etc.
- (n.) One of the halves of the body, of an animals or man, on either side of the mesial plane; or that which pertains to such a half; as, a side of beef; a side of sole leather.
- (n.) A slope or declivity, as of a hill, considered as opposed to another slope over the ridge.
- (n.) Fig.: Aspect or part regarded as contrasted with some other; as, the bright side of poverty.
- (a.) Of or pertaining to a side, or the sides; being on the side, or toward the side; lateral.
- (a.) Hence, indirect; oblique; collateral; incidental; as, a side issue; a side view or remark.
- (n.) A line of descent traced through one parent as distinguished from that traced through another.
- (v. t.) To suit; to pair; to match.
- (v. i.) To lean on one side.
- (v. i.) To embrace the opinions of one party, or engage in its interest, in opposition to another party; to take sides; as, to side with the ministerial party.
- (v. t.) To be or stand at the side of; to be on the side toward.
- (v. t.) To work (a timber or rib) to a certain thickness by trimming the sides.
- (n.) Any outer portion of a thing considered apart from, and yet in relation to, the rest; as, the upper side of a sphere; also, any part or position viewed as opposite to or contrasted with another; as, this or that side.
- (n.) The right or left part of the wall or trunk of the body; as, a pain in the side.
• Side-slipDefinition & Meaning in English
- (v. i.) See Skid, below.