Smoke Synonyms & Definitions
Synonyms are words that have the same or almost the same meaning and the definition is the detailed explanation of the word. This page will help you out finding the Definition & Synonyms of hundreds of words mentioned on this page. Check out the page and learn more about the English vocabulary.
• SmokeDefinition & Meaning in English
- (n.) The visible exhalation, vapor, or substance that escapes, or expelled, from a burning body, especially from burning vegetable matter, as wood, coal, peat, or the like.
- (v. t.) To ridicule to the face; to quiz.
- (n.) Hence, to burn; to be kindled; to rage.
- (n.) That which resembles smoke; a vapor; a mist.
- (n.) The act of smoking, esp. of smoking tobacco; as, to have a smoke.
- (n.) To emit smoke; to throw off volatile matter in the form of vapor or exhalation; to reek.
- (v. t.) To inhale and puff out the smoke of, as tobacco; to burn or use in smoking; as, to smoke a pipe or a cigar.
- (n.) To draw into the mouth the smoke of tobacco burning in a pipe or in the form of a cigar, cigarette, etc.; to habitually use tobacco in this manner.
- (n.) Anything unsubstantial, as idle talk.
- (v. t.) To subject to the operation of smoke, for the purpose of annoying or driving out; -- often with out; as, to smoke a woodchuck out of his burrow.
- (v. t.) To smell out; to hunt out; to find out; to detect.
- (v. t.) To apply smoke to; to hang in smoke; to disinfect, to cure, etc., by smoke; as, to smoke or fumigate infected clothing; to smoke beef or hams for preservation.
- (n.) To suffer severely; to be punished.
- (v. t.) To fill or scent with smoke; hence, to fill with incense; to perfume.
- (n.) To raise a dust or smoke by rapid motion.
• Smoke-dryDefinition & Meaning in English
- (v. t.) To dry by or in smoke.