Steward Synonyms & Definitions
Synonyms are words that have the same or almost the same meaning and the definition is the detailed explanation of the word. This page will help you out finding the Definition & Synonyms of hundreds of words mentioned on this page. Check out the page and learn more about the English vocabulary.
• StewardDefinition & Meaning in English
- (n.) A person employed in a hotel, or a club, or on board a ship, to provide for the table, superintend the culinary affairs, etc. In naval vessels, the captains steward, wardroom steward, steerage steward, warrant officers steward, etc., are petty officers who provide for the messes under their charge.
- (n.) A man employed in a large family, or on a large estate, to manage the domestic concerns, supervise other servants, collect the rents or income, keep accounts, and the like.
- (v. t.) To manage as a steward.
- (n.) In Scotland, a magistrate appointed by the crown to exercise jurisdiction over royal lands.
- (n.) In some colleges, an officer who provides food for the students and superintends the kitchen; also, an officer who attends to the accounts of the students.
- (n.) A fiscal agent of certain bodies; as, a steward in a Methodist church.
• StewardessDefinition & Meaning in English
- (n.) A female steward; specifically, a woman employed in passenger vessels to attend to the wants of female passengers.
• StewardlyDefinition & Meaning in English
- (adv.) In a manner, or with the care, of a steward.