Stretched Synonyms & Definitions
Synonyms are words that have the same or almost the same meaning and the definition is the detailed explanation of the word. This page will help you out finding the Definition & Synonyms of hundreds of words mentioned on this page. Check out the page and learn more about the English vocabulary.
• StretchedDefinition & Meaning in English
- (imp. & p. p.) of Stretch
• StretchDefinition & Meaning in English
- (v. t.) To draw or pull out to greater length; to strain; as, to stretch a tendon or muscle.
- (v. t.) To cause to extend in breadth; to spread; to expand; as, to stretch cloth; to stretch the wings.
- (v. t.) To reach out; to extend; to put forth.
- (v. i.) To be extended; to be drawn out in length or in breadth, or both; to spread; to reach; as, the iron road stretches across the continent; the lake stretches over fifty square miles.
- (n.) The reach or extent of a vessels progress on one tack; a tack or board.
- (v. i.) To extend or spread ones self, or ones limbs; as, the lazy man yawns and stretches.
- (v. i.) To sail by the wind under press of canvas; as, the ship stretched to the eastward.
- (n.) Course; direction; as, the stretch of seams of coal.
- (v. t.) To draw out to the full length; to cause to extend in a straight line; as, to stretch a cord or rope.
- (n.) The extent to which anything may be stretched.
- (v. i.) To strain the truth; to exaggerate; as, a man apt to stretch in his report of facts.
- (v. t.) To make tense; to tighten; to distend forcibly.
- (n.) Act of stretching, or state of being stretched; reach; effort; struggle; strain; as, a stretch of the limbs; a stretch of the imagination.
- (v. t.) To exaggerate; to extend too far; as, to stretch the truth; to stretch ones credit.
- (v. i.) To be extended, or to bear extension, without breaking, as elastic or ductile substances.
- (n.) A continuous line or surface; a continuous space of time; as, grassy stretches of land.