Style Synonyms & Definitions
Synonyms are words that have the same or almost the same meaning and the definition is the detailed explanation of the word. This page will help you out finding the Definition & Synonyms of hundreds of words mentioned on this page. Check out the page and learn more about the English vocabulary.
• StyleDefinition & Meaning in English
- (v. t.) A kind of blunt-pointed surgical instrument.
- (v. t.) Mode of presentation, especially in music or any of the fine arts; a characteristic of peculiar mode of developing in idea or accomplishing a result.
- (v. t.) Conformity to a recognized standard; manner which is deemed elegant and appropriate, especially in social demeanor; fashion.
- (v. t.) Hence, anything resembling the ancient style in shape or use.
- (v. t.) The elongated part of a pistil between the ovary and the stigma. See Illust. of Stamen, and of Pistil.
- (v. t.) An instrument used by the ancients in writing on tablets covered with wax, having one of its ends sharp, and the other blunt, and somewhat expanded, for the purpose of making erasures by smoothing the wax.
- (v. t.) Mode or phrase by which anything is formally designated; the title; the official designation of any important body; mode of address; as, the style of Majesty.
- (v. t.) A sharp-pointed tool used in engraving; a graver.
- (v. t.) A long, slender, bristlelike process, as the anal styles of insects.
- (v. t.) To entitle; to term, name, or call; to denominate.
- (v. t.) A pen; an authors pen.
- (v. t.) A mode of reckoning time, with regard to the Julian and Gregorian calendars.
- (v. t.) Mode of expressing thought in language, whether oral or written; especially, such use of language in the expression of thought as exhibits the spirit and faculty of an artist; choice or arrangement of words in discourse; rhetorical expression.
- (v. t.) The pin, or gnomon, of a dial, the shadow of which indicates the hour. See Gnomon.
• StyletDefinition & Meaning in English
- (n.) A stiff wire, inserted in catheters or other tubular instruments to maintain their shape and prevent clogging.
- (n.) A small poniard; a stiletto.
- (n.) Any small, more or less rigid, bristlelike organ; as, the caudal stylets of certain insects; the ventral stylets of certain Infusoria.
- (n.) An instrument for examining wounds and fistulas, and for passing setons, and the like; a probe, -- called also specillum.
• StyledDefinition & Meaning in English
- (imp. & p. p.) of Style