Supplies Synonyms & Definitions
Synonyms are words that have the same or almost the same meaning and the definition is the detailed explanation of the word. This page will help you out finding the Definition & Synonyms of hundreds of words mentioned on this page. Check out the page and learn more about the English vocabulary.
• SuppliesDefinition & Meaning in English
- (pl. ) of Supply
• SupplyDefinition & Meaning in English
- (n.) A person who fills a place for a time; one who supplies the place of another; a substitute; esp., a clergyman who supplies a vacant pulpit.
- (n.) The food, and the like, which meets the daily necessities of an army or other large body of men; store; -- used chiefly in the plural; as, the army was discontented for lack of supplies.
- (v. t.) To give; to bring or furnish; to provide; as, to supply money for the war.
- (a.) Serving to contain, deliver, or regulate a supply of anything; as, a supply tank or valve.
- (v. t.) To fill up, or keep full; to furnish with what is wanted; to afford, or furnish with, a sufficiency; as, rivers are supplied by smaller streams; an aqueduct supplies an artificial lake; -- often followed by with before the thing furnished; as, to supply a furnace with fuel; to supply soldiers with ammunition.
- (n.) An amount of money provided, as by Parliament or Congress, to meet the annual national expenditures; generally in the plural; as, to vote supplies.
- (n.) That which supplies a want; sufficiency of things for use or want.
- (n.) The act of supplying; supplial.
- (v. t.) To serve instead of; to take the place of.
- (n.) Auxiliary troops or reenforcements.
- (v. t.) To fill temporarily; to serve as substitute for another in, as a vacant place or office; to occupy; to have possession of; as, to supply a pulpit.