Tearing Synonyms & Definitions
Synonyms are words that have the same or almost the same meaning and the definition is the detailed explanation of the word. This page will help you out finding the Definition & Synonyms of hundreds of words mentioned on this page. Check out the page and learn more about the English vocabulary.
• TearingDefinition & Meaning in English
- (p. pr. & vb. n.) of Tear
• TearDefinition & Meaning in English
- (n.) A partially vitrified bit of clay in glass.
- (v. t.) Hence, to divide by violent measures; to disrupt; to rend; as, a party or government torn by factions.
- (n.) The act of tearing, or the state of being torn; a rent; a fissure.
- (n.) A drop of the limpid, saline fluid secreted, normally in small amount, by the lachrymal gland, and diffused between the eye and the eyelids to moisten the parts and facilitate their motion. Ordinarily the secretion passes through the lachrymal duct into the nose, but when it is increased by emotion or other causes, it overflows the lids.
- (n.) Something in the form of a transparent drop of fluid matter; also, a solid, transparent, tear-shaped drop, as of some balsams or resins.
- (v. t.) To pull with violence; as, to tear the hair.
- (v. t.) To rend away; to force away; to remove by force; to sunder; as, a child torn from its home.
- (v. i.) To divide or separate on being pulled; to be rent; as, this cloth tears easily.
- (v. t.) To move violently; to agitate.
- (n.) That which causes or accompanies tears; a lament; a dirge.
- (v. t.) To separate by violence; to pull apart by force; to rend; to lacerate; as, to tear cloth; to tear a garment; to tear the skin or flesh.
- (v. i.) To move and act with turbulent violence; to rush with violence; hence, to rage; to rave.