Toll Synonyms & Definitions
Synonyms are words that have the same or almost the same meaning and the definition is the detailed explanation of the word. This page will help you out finding the Definition & Synonyms of hundreds of words mentioned on this page. Check out the page and learn more about the English vocabulary.
• TollDefinition & Meaning in English
- (v. i.) To pay toll or tallage.
- (v. i.) To take toll; to raise a tax.
- (n.) A portion of grain taken by a miller as a compensation for grinding.
- (n.) The sound of a bell produced by strokes slowly and uniformly repeated.
- (v. t.) To draw; to entice; to allure. See Tole.
- (v. i.) To sound or ring, as a bell, with strokes uniformly repeated at intervals, as at funerals, or in calling assemblies, or to announce the death of a person.
- (v. t.) To collect, as a toll.
- (v. t.) To call, summon, or notify, by tolling or ringing.
- (n.) A tax paid for some liberty or privilege, particularly for the privilege of passing over a bridge or on a highway, or for that of vending goods in a fair, market, or the like.
- (v. t.) To cause to sound, as a bell, with strokes slowly and uniformly repeated; as, to toll the funeral bell.
- (n.) A liberty to buy and sell within the bounds of a manor.
- (v. t.) To strike, or to indicate by striking, as the hour; to ring a toll for; as, to toll a departed friend.
- (v. t.) To take away; to vacate; to annul.
• TollableDefinition & Meaning in English
- (a.) Subject to the payment of toll; as, tollable goods.