Towned Synonyms & Definitions
Synonyms are words that have the same or almost the same meaning and the definition is the detailed explanation of the word. This page will help you out finding the Definition & Synonyms of hundreds of words mentioned on this page. Check out the page and learn more about the English vocabulary.
• TownedDefinition & Meaning in English
- (a.) Having towns; containing many towns.
• TownDefinition & Meaning in English
- (adv. & prep.) A township; the whole territory within certain limits, less than those of a country.
- (adv. & prep.) A farm or farmstead; also, a court or farmyard.
- (adv. & prep.) The metropolis or its inhabitants; as, in winter the gentleman lives in town; in summer, in the country.
- (adv. & prep.) Formerly: (a) An inclosure which surrounded the mere homestead or dwelling of the lord of the manor. [Obs.] (b) The whole of the land which constituted the domain. [Obs.] (c) A collection of houses inclosed by fences or walls.
- (adv. & prep.) The body of inhabitants resident in a town; as, the town voted to send two representatives to the legislature; the town voted to lay a tax for repairing the highways.
- (adv. & prep.) The court end of London;-- commonly with the.
- (adv. & prep.) Any number or collection of houses to which belongs a regular market, and which is not a city or the see of a bishop.
- (adv. & prep.) Any collection of houses larger than a village, and not incorporated as a city; also, loosely, any large, closely populated place, whether incorporated or not, in distinction from the country, or from rural communities.