Vetoed Synonyms & Definitions
Synonyms are words that have the same or almost the same meaning and the definition is the detailed explanation of the word. This page will help you out finding the Definition & Synonyms of hundreds of words mentioned on this page. Check out the page and learn more about the English vocabulary.
• VetoedDefinition & Meaning in English
- (imp. & p. p.) of Veto
• VetoDefinition & Meaning in English
- (n.) The exercise of such authority; an act of prohibition or prevention; as, a veto is probable if the bill passes.
- (n.) An authoritative prohibition or negative; a forbidding; an interdiction.
- (v. t.) To prohibit; to negative; also, to refuse assent to, as a legislative bill, and thus prevent its enactment; as, to veto an appropriation bill.
- (n.) A power or right possessed by one department of government to forbid or prohibit the carrying out of projects attempted by another department; especially, in a constitutional government, a power vested in the chief executive to prevent the enactment of measures passed by the legislature. Such a power may be absolute, as in the case of the Tribunes of the People in ancient Rome, or limited, as in the case of the President of the United States. Called also the veto power.
- (n.) A document or message communicating the reasons of the executive for not officially approving a proposed law; -- called also veto message.