West Synonyms & Definitions
Synonyms are words that have the same or almost the same meaning and the definition is the detailed explanation of the word. This page will help you out finding the Definition & Synonyms of hundreds of words mentioned on this page. Check out the page and learn more about the English vocabulary.
• WestDefinition & Meaning in English
- (a.) Designating, or situated in, that part of a church which is opposite to, and farthest from, the east, or the part containing the chancel and choir.
- (n.) The point in the heavens where the sun is seen to set at the equinox; or, the corresponding point on the earth; that one of the four cardinal points of the compass which is in a direction at right angles to that of north and south, and on the left hand of a person facing north; the point directly opposite to east.
- (a.) Lying toward the west; situated at the west, or in a western direction from the point of observation or reckoning; proceeding toward the west, or coming from the west; as, a west course is one toward the west; an east and west line; a west wind blows from the west.
- (n.) Formerly, that part of the United States west of the Alleghany mountains; now, commonly, the whole region west of the Mississippi river; esp., that part which is north of the Indian Territory, New Mexico, etc. Usually with the definite article.
- (adv.) Westward.
- (v. i.) To pass to the west; to set, as the sun.
- (n.) The Westen hemisphere, or the New World so called, it having been discovered by sailing westward from Europe; the Occident.
- (n.) A country, or region of country, which, with regard to some other country or region, is situated in the direction toward the west.
- (v. i.) To turn or move toward the west; to veer from the north or south toward the west.
• WestlingDefinition & Meaning in English
- (n.) A westerner.
• West IndiaDefinition & Meaning in English
- () Alt. of West Indian