• Tabbying Definition & Synonyms
- (p. pr. & vb. n.) of Tabby
• Tabby Definition & Synonyms
- (a.) Brindled; diversified in color; as, a tabby cat.
- (n.) A kind of waved silk, usually called watered silk, manufactured like taffeta, but thicker and stronger. The watering is given to it by calendering.
- (n.) A mixture of lime with shells, gravel, or stones, in equal proportions, with an equal proportion of water. When dry, this becomes as hard as rock.
- (a.) Having a wavy or watered appearance; as, a tabby waistcoat.
- (v. t.) To water; to cause to look wavy, by the process of calendering; to calender; as, to tabby silk, mohair, ribbon, etc.
- (n.) A brindled cat; hence, popularly, any cat.
- (n.) An old maid or gossip.